The Dybbøl Banke Foundation
Purpose and status
The Dybbøl Banke Foundation that is in charge of the self-governed institution History Centre Dybbøl Banke was founded 7 June 1989 by the Southern Jutland County, Sønderborg Municipality and the (now liquidated) cooperative Hotel Dybbøl Banke.
According to article 4 of the statutes, the purpose of the Foundation is to build, furnish, operate and maintain a History Centre at Dybbøl Banke, as well as to provide visitors with an insight into the landscape and the national historical events associated with it. In addition, to provide catering and other services for the visitors of the History Centre.
Since 2004 the Sønderborg Castle Museum has taken care of the daily operations of the History Centre while the Foundation still owns the centre. The Foundation was responsible for the construction of the redoubt system 2003-2007, and to this day it is responsible for the state-supported, knowledge-pedagogical activities and the nature tours at the Dybbøl Banke.
§ 1 The name of the Foundation is the Dybbøl Banke Foundation.
§ 2 The Foundation’s founders are the cooperative society Hotel Dybbøl Banke, the Southern Jutland County Council and the Sønderborg City Council.
§ 3 The Foundation’s registered office is: History Centre Dybbøl Banke, Dybbøl Banke 16, DK-6400 Sønderborg in Sønderborg Municipality.
§ 4 The Foundation’s purpose is:
- To build, furnish, run and maintain a History Centre (at land registration no. 173 Dybbøl) whose property the Department of Environment provided free of cost. A copy of the file with the Finance Committee’s certification from 13 September 1988 is attached to the statutes.
- To give the guests an understanding of the landscape and the national historical events.
- To make sure that there are guest services in the History Centre.
§ 5 Upon written agreement, the operation of the History Centre can be handed over to another history disseminating institution.
§ 6 The Foundation’s basic capital (300,000 DKK) was transferred by the cooperative society Dybbøl Banke to account no. 4610 4610 111 432 (Handelsbank, Aabenraa) on 7 June 1989. The interest can be used within the Foundation’s purpose.
§ 7 For the construction and decoration of the History Centre, Aage V. Jensen’s Foundations have donated 22,955,000 DKK, of which 755,000 DKK to an architectural competition. This donation is to be mentioned in the information prepared or published by the Dybbøl Banke Foundation to the public.
§ 8 The operation and the maintenance of the History Centre and the facilities belonging to the centre are expected to be covered by public and private grants as well as entrance revenues, revenues of the shop etc.
§ 9 A potential profit can only be used for the purposes named under § 4.
§ 10 It is not up to the Foundation to attribute special rights or advantages.
§ 11 The Foundation is led by a Board consisting of five to nine members:
- Two chosen by the Sønderborg Municipality
- One chosen by the Museum Southern Jutland
- One chosen by the DSI Dybbøl Mill
- One chosen by the Union of History and Social Science Teachers (FALIHOS).
The Board can choose up to four members with particular interest for the History Centre and the landscape around Dybbøl.
The authority which is liable for the public areas of the Dybbøl Banke has the right to pick an observer who participates in meetings of the Board.
The Board members are elected for four years. The members who are not chosen by the Board are elected for the same period as the period in the Municipality while the period for the members which are chosen by the Board shifts with two years. The first period for the members who are not elected by the Board is 2007 to 2009. The next period for the members elected by the Board is 2008 to 2011.
The Board elects the Chairman.
In the event of a tie, the Chairman’s vote is decisive.
The Board shall determine any rules of procedure, which shall, as the case may be, contain at least the following provisions:
- Election of Chairman and Vice-Chairman
- Approval of budget and accounts
- Employment and dismissal competence
- Determination of the number of annual Board meetings
- Authority to issue orders
Board members do not receive compensation.
§ 12 To commit the Foundation, the signature of the Chairman and, in his absence, the Vice-Chairman, as well as an additional Board member, is required. Dispositions of real estate, however, require the prior approval of two-thirds of the members of the Board.
§ 13 The Foundation’s financial year is the calendar year. The Board decides regarding bookkeeping and accounting.
§ 14 The accounts are audited by a state-authorized or registered auditor.
§ 15 Changes to the statutes or dissolution of the Foundation require the approval of two-thirds of the Board members and the approval of the Sønderborg Municipality and the Museum Southern Jutland. Changes to article 7 also require approval from the Aage V. Jensen’s Foundations.
§ 16 In case of dissolution of the Foundation, it must be agreed in more detail between the Sønderborg Municipality, the Museum of Southern Jutland and the Aage V. Jensen’s Foundations. In this way, the purpose of the Foundation can be met, including what will happen to the Foundation’s values.
§ 17 The above articles enter into force on 1 January 2007 and replace the articles of association of 3 December 1991 with amendments of 15 September 2003.
As adopted at the Board meeting on 14 November 2006.
The board’s composition
Members of the Board of the Dybbøl Banke Foundation as per 1 January 2018:
- Chairman Jens Peter Rasmussen, retiree
– appointed by the DSI Dybbøl Mølle (The Independent Institution Dybbøl Mill)
- Vice-Chairman Claus Klaris, Head of the Army Home Guard District South and Southern Jutland
– appointed by the Sønderborg City Council
- Bendt Olesen, former Mayor
– appointed by the Sønderborg City Council
- Dennis Hornhave Jacobsen, teacher
– appointed by FALIHOS (The Union of History and Social Science Teachers)
- Tom Buk-Swienty, author and historian
– appointed by the Dybbøl Banke Foundation
- Carsten Porskrog Rasmussen, Museum Inspector Museum Southern Jutland
– appointed by the Museum Southern Jutland
Observers and advisors:
- Forester Inge Gillesberg (The Nature Agency Southern Jutland)
- Accounting Manager Leif Geest (The Region Southern Denmark)
History Centre Dybbøl Banke
Historiecenter Dybbøl Banke
1 April – 31 October
10 am – 5 pm
See opening hours
Historiecenter Dybbøl Banke er et VPAC center. VPAC står for Videnspædagogisk Aktivitets Center, der er et statsstøttet oplevelsescenter, hvor børn og voksne får viden og indsigt i natur, historie og videnskab gennem lærerige og udfordrende aktiviteter for alle sanser. Der er 16 VPAC centre i Danmark.